Ingredients for the soup:
• 1/2 cup (100 g) Organic Pearled Farro
• 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) water
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 golden onion, finely chopped
• 1 small clove garlic, skin removed, finely chopped
• 1.8 lbs (700 g) butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
• 1 1/2 cups (350 ml) vegetable stock
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the toppings:
• 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + plus more for drizzling
• 8 sage leaves, sliced into ribbons
• 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
• Freshly ground black pepper
Farro & Butternut Squash Soup with Crispy Sage and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
Pour the Organic pearled Farro and water in a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Cook for 15-18 minutes. Drain.
In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large pot, then cook the onions over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until translucent but not brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the squash cubes and vegetable stock to the pot, and simmer until the squash is soft and can be easily pierced with a fork; about 10 minutes.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a small skillet. When the oil is hot, add the sage ribbons and cook over medium heat until crisp, stirring often. Remove from heat and put on a plate. Add the pumpkin seeds to the same skillet. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly toasted; 1-2 minutes.
When the soup is done, remove from heat and puree until homogenous with a handheld immersion blender. Divide among two bowls, add the cooked farro and top with the crispy sage ribbons, pumpkin seeds, a few cracks of pepper and a swirl of extra virgin olive oil. Buon appetito!
Recipe and video by Italian-based food blogger
Cindy Swain from italicanakitchen.com